MERLOT Voices

Putting Educational Innovations into Practice.

Please introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.  We have a number of people who are doing GRAPE Camp asynchronously and you can communicate with them this way.

Views: 584

Replies to This Discussion

Hello all,

I'm Becky Reid. I'm trying to figure out my place in the world of MERLOT peer reviewers. What exactly is my field? Well, I hold a CA Single Subject Teaching Credential in Life Science, but I haven't taught in a Biology classroom in years. I am, however, collaborating with other teachers at my school to create an online Biology course for home schooled students. I have an MS Ed. in Online Teaching and Learning, and I'm looking for a position as an online adjunct professor in teacher education, focusing on learning technology. I'm also working with teachers at my school to convert all of our independent study course materials to online courses in Moodle. (Our students are home-schooled, but they meet with a teacher in each subject area once a week for support.) 

Is my discipline biology, faculty development, teacher education, or something not listed? I see that most people here currently work in higher education, but that there are MERLOT learning materials for secondary students. It seems that I would be best suited to review biology curricula for secondary students, or general teaching technologies for teachers? 

Any direction would be appreciated.

Becky

Still Learning

Hi, Becky:

I'm sorry you are so confused.  I think a good place for you might be in the Teacher Ed area, with a concentration on Life Science.  Your experience with online materials can definitely help there.  However, it is up to you.

We do have a lot of materials in the secondary level.  However, because all of our academic partners are in higher ed, we are focused on Peer Reviewing only those materials.  We've often discussed the possibility of reviewing some secondary level materials, but we just don't have the means yet.  We are still struggling to get the higher ed materials reviewed.  I think if you review a material that is categorized as both High School and Undergraduate, you could definitely mention the applicability to high school.

Hi Cathy,

Excellent suggestion. I'm glad there is enough overlap in the learning materials for me to find a place to fit in. Looking forward to today's session.

Becky

Great.  Talk to you real soon.

Hello my name is Anil Kapoor and I am an Adjunct Professor of Microbiology at Crafton Hills college. I have found some great material on MERLOT site and have added them to my power points already. I can’t wait to start being a Peer reviewer!!!

Hi, Anil:

I am always happy when I hear from people who are excited about materials they find on MERLOT.  That makes it even more important for your role as a Peer Reviewer, as you probably understand how helpful the comments are.  Jeff Bell, our Biology Editor, will welcome you as a Peer Reviewer shortly.

Hi Cathy, I'm Luz del Carmen Vilchis from the National Autonomous University of Mexico. I'm a Professor since 1979 of the Posgraduate Program in Visual Arts. I teach Semiotics, Graphic Design, Arts and Design Theory, Research and Thesis Seminars. I have a PhD in Fine Arts and other in Philosophy. I apologize with you and the group cause I couldn´t share all the first session, I'll make an effort today but sometimes the technology just says no... It was grate to do the homework, it´s amazing the kind of materials that I could review. Now I know that was the best decision to join to GRAPE camp. Thanks!

Hola, Luz:

Bienvenidos a MERLOT!   As I mentioned in an email, sometimes the technology just doesn't work.  That's one reason we record the sessions.  I've even had the technology fail at my end.  In November I was in Santiago, Chile, and one of the individuals there reminded me of one of the GRAPE Camp sessions in which my internet went out at home.  I had to go to a local McDonalds and do GRAPE Camp from there!

We're always happy to have people from other countries participate.  I know that UNAM is a HUGE institution, as I've walked past it when in Mexico City.  We're happy to have you.

Hi, I'm Lorna Kearns. I am an instructional designer at the University of Pittsburgh. I posted some member comments this morning on learning objects about instructional design. Not only did I learn how to post a member comment but I found some neat learning objects as well!
That's great, Lorna.  I think a lot of Peer Reviewers also discover new materials when they are Peer Reviewing, so expect that, too.  Talk to you soon.
Hello, Deborah Watry, Ph.D. - I am the chairperson for the Teacher Education Program at Marian University in Fond du Lac, WI. I look forward to making use of Merlot resources and to be a contributing reviewer. Thank you for providing the information and training for this process.

Hi, Deborah:

We have a very active and friendly Editorial Board in Teacher Ed.  A good buddy of mine is the Editor, Jane Moore.  I know she will welcome you to work with them.

RSS

© 2024   Created by MERLOT.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service