MERLOT Voices

Putting Educational Innovations into Practice.

Please introduce yourself here.  Tell us where you teach and also what you teach.  You can also include any other information about yourself that people may want to hear.

Remember that there are a lot of people who are attending GRAPE Camp asynchronously, so they want to hear from you, too.

Views: 405

Replies to This Discussion

Hello everyone! My name is Michele Webb and I will probably be doing most of the Fall Grape Camps asynchronously. I currently teach secondary Spanish (9th &10th grades primarily) at Houston Christian High School in Houston, TX, & am studying for my MS in Global e-Learning at Texas A&M University - Commerce. I look forward to working with everyone these next couple of weeks and discovering more about what MERLOT offers!

Hola, Michele:

Como estas?  Okay, I'm showing off.  I speak Spanish a little.  I think it is a beautiful language.  So happy to have you in GRAPE Camp.  If you have any questions, please let me know.  Preferably in English.  :-)

Hey Everyone,

My name is Sabah Ahmad, I am born and raised in Chicago, Currently residing in North-East Texas for the past 8 years. I have completed my BS in Biology and started MS in Instructional Technology at Texas A&M-Texarkana, but transferred to Texas A&M-Commerce where I will complete the remaining of my program. I am looking forward to working with all of you here in MERLOT GRAPE Camp and also in the Global E-Learning program.

Good Luck!

Hi, Sabah:

Welcome.  I was so happy to share Session 1 with you, even if you were the sole attendee. Many people are now doing GRAPE Camp asynchronously, especially this session.  I'm glad you hung in with it for the first session.  Good luck to you and let me know if you have any questions.

Hello, my name is Laurie Borchard and I am a Digital Learning Initiatives Librarian at Cal State Northridge (CSUN). I have a masters in Library and Information Science and a bachelor's in Information Media. I originally hail from the midwest, but now call sunny SoCal my home.

My main responsibilities focus on developing and planning online learning initiatives at the library. This includes co-creating a video tutorial series called Research Therapy, which focuses on information literacy skills for undergraduate students. My colleague and I have submitted several of these videos to MERLOT. I'm also involved in usability testing for library websites, the open access movement here on campus, and I also serve on an advisory committee for academic technology for faculty. I am also the library liaison for the CSU Affordable Learning $olutions Initiative. 

I'm really excited to get more involved in MERLOT and becoming a peer reviewer is the first step!

And we're happy to have you interested in peer reviewing, Laurie.  I hope you continue to submit the videos you create to MERLOT.  Maybe once you finish GRAPE Camp and meet the Library Editor, you can get your resources peer reviewed.

Hi everyone,

My name is Kimberly Miller. I am Research & Instruction Librarian for Emerging Technologies and liaison to Psychology at Towson University's Albert S. Cook Library. My primary responsibilities include day-to-day technology leadership within the context of Cook Library’s research, reference, and instruction activities, including managing our collection of online tutorials (hence my interest in MERLOT). I also provide student/faculty research assistance in person and online, teach library and information literacy classes, and purchase materials to support the university's psychology curriculum. I received my Master of Science in Information from the University of Michigan and B.A. in Psychology from The College of Idaho.

I just finished my practice review for the "Beginners Guide to Business Research" for Grape Camp. Since business information tends to be one of my librarian weaknesses (we have a fantastic business librarian I frequently turn to for help) it was nice to see a well-done tutorial address the complexity of conducting this type of research. Looking forward to becoming more involved with MERLOT. - Kim

I'm glad to hear that you finished the Beginners Guide review, Kim.  You also forgot to mention that you have started to add some of the online tutorials to MERLOT.  We're happy to have them and I'm sure the Library Board will be happy, too.

Ciao! I am writing this post for the December 2013 Grape Camp. I also posted in the 2014 Winter/Spring Grape Camp forum since I am not sure where exactly I should be introducing myself... So I apologize for any confusion or repetition here.

Every time I hear the words "grape camp," I think of the Simpsons episode where Sideshow Bob goes to Italy and stomps on grapes with his enormous feet...

I'm Gabrielle Orsi. In January 2011 I began serving as the Learning Management Systems Administrator & Faculty Trainer at Colorado Mountain College. Previously I taught at Columbia University, Barnard College, the City University of New York-Queens College, the University of Kentucky, and the University of Denver. My Ph.D. is in Italian, so I often taught Italian literature and language, as well as some other humanities/writing courses, but I also taught technology workshops while I was at Columbia. I am looking forward to working with everyone!

Here I am with my niece about a year ago. I look pretty much the same but as you can imagine, she looks completely different now.

Welcome, Gabrielle:

You've certainly had experience in several university settings so I'm sure you understand working with faculty.  Having been one, I love the term "Faculty Trainer."  We have a lot of materials in our Faculty Development area, so I'm sure you'll find some resources that will help you.  One thing I don't cover in GRAPE Camp is our Pedagogy Portal which is found here:  http://pedagogy.merlot.org/

We've divided the teaching process into five steps and we have links to a variety of materials in each of those.  Every one of the links  listed on that page go to our top 5 recommended materials in the category.

Hello!

I'm Paul Glassman and serve Felician College, the Franciscan college of New Jersey, as Director of Library Services and Associate Professor, where I teach art history and design.  I created a hybrid course, Sacred Space:  The History and Design of Religious Architecture.  In the summer I teach in the School of Communication and Information at Rutgers, where I teach Art Librarianship and, online, Library Design.

--PG

RSS

© 2024   Created by MERLOT.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service