MERLOT Voices

Putting Educational Innovations into Practice.

Please reply to this email by introducing yourself.  Please include your institution and discipline.  Also tell us anything else you want people to know.  This is an opportunity for you to interact with those taking the live session or the asynchronous session as well as those who are doing GRAPE Camp as a self-study.

You can also ask any questions here so others can see the answer.

Views: 580

Replies to This Discussion

Hi everyone, my name is Richard and I'm from Brooklyn, NY. I am a pharmacist with more time in the business than I care to discuss. However, I am very interested in Merlot, the peer review process and everything else related. In my field the issue of evidence-based results (especially in drug trials) is extremely important. I hope to gain some insight and experience in peer reviewing so I can make better judgement calls when it comes to medication related discussions.

Good Luck to us all.

Rich

Hi, Rich:

I think GRAPE Camp will definitely help you judge some of these discussions better.  I know our Health Sciences Eitorial Board will welcome your expertise.  Also, feel free to catalog any materials you use in MERLOT!

Thanks. I am looking forward to working with the Board. I will certainly remember to catalog  my material as well.

RIch

Hello everybody,

My name is Dani Solano and I am an assistant professor at the California State University, Bakersfield. I teach primarily organic chemistry and have used/recommended MERLOT materials. Hopefully I will also have some content to contribute to MERLOT soon.

I am participating in GRAPE camp because I am interested in becoming a better peer reviewer and discovering new tools to use in my classroom. Also I am up for tenure soon, so a little extra service doesn't hurt!

We're happy to have you, Dani.  As you know, CSU is our main sponsor and MERLOT is recognized through-out the system.  I hope you learned some new tips in the first session of GRAPE Camp.

In addition to learning to review teaching materials, it will also help you in other types of reviewing you encounter in the academic environment.  Texas A&M is a partner of MERLOT and their Project Director, Rick Lumadue, has all of his grad students go through GRAPE Camp so learn reviewing skills they can also use for reviewing professional society proceedings submissions as well as journal article reviews.

Again, especially since CSU is a partner, your efforts in peer reviewing should be recognized in your tenure package.

Yes, I have learned a few things already. Looking forward to the rest of GRAPE camp!

Great.  I love to hear that!

Hey ya’ll! I’m Karen Foster from North East Texas. I have an Associate’s Degree in Visual Communications from The Art Institute of Dallas, a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from LeTourneau University, Texas Teaching Certification EC-12 in Art and Technology Applications, and I am working on my Master of Science in Global E-learning at Texas A&M University Commerce.  I plan to utilize my graphic design, business background, software know how and teaching skills to prepare students for a future as Global Citizens.

Welcome, Karen.  You seem to have a very interesting background.  I'm sure your skill set will be appreciated by MERLOT.  We're happy to have you in GRAPE Camp.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Hi everyone!

My name is Kristen Butela, and I am an assistant professor of biology at Seton Hill University in Greensburg, PA (located about 20 miles southeast of Pittsburgh).  I have used MERLOT resources in my courses since I started my position, so I'm excited to learn the process of becoming a peer reviewer.  I currently teach courses in Genetics, Microbiology, Biotechnology, and Bioinformatics.  I enjoy spending my very small amount of free time by playing as a defense-person on a coed street hockey team.  I'm looking forward to interacting with all of you soon!

Hi, Kristen:

I was born in Pittsburgh and lived in Peters Township, southwest of Pittsburgh.  Very familiar with Seton Hill.  We're happy to have you.  The Biology Editorial Board is a great team and I know they will welcome your efforts.

What fun to be playing street hockey!  That's an unusual sport.

Hello all, my name is Buddy Ethridge and I am the LMS administrator for Louisiana State University.  In addition to my LMS duties, I work closely with our FERPA and ADA compliance offices here at LSU to ensure that our offerings are accessible and properly secured.  I hold a BA in Studio Arts (Photography) and an MA in Art History (East Asian Studies).  I am currently working on my PhD in Eduction, specializing in Curriculum and Instruction.  My research area is video games and learning, specifically exploring what can be done to incentivize major game producers to dedicate more resources towards educational video games, increasing both the production value and the pedagogical usefulness of the genre.   

RSS

© 2024   Created by MERLOT.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service