MERLOT Voices

Putting Educational Innovations into Practice.

Please take the opportunity to introduce yourself here in MERLOT Voices.  Some people are attending GRAPE Camp asynchronously or as a self study.  This will be the only contact they will have with others who are attending.  This is a great opportunity to network with others.  After you introduce yourself, tell us about you.  You are also able to reply to anyone else's comments.

Views: 472

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Pat:

We're happy to have you.  I know the Faculty Development editorial board will welcome you, too.  As soon as you have completed your review, just let me know.  We'll get you put to work immediately.

I am Stephen Gasior, Ph.D. I teach biology at Ball State and formerly taught at University of New Orleans. I have taught biology in Second Life and am learning about MERLOT as part of the Virtual Environments Task Force. I have perursed MERLOT before to find useful additional resources for regular classes.

Welcome, Stephen.  We just had someone graduate from GRAPE Camp this past week who is also interested in the Virtual Environments Taskforce.  I hope you find some good resources on MERLOT, but don't forget that you can also catalog your own.  I'm attaching some instructions to help you do so.

Attachments:

Hi everyone!  I'm attending GRAPE Camp synchronously, in the cohort starting this week.  Today's session was great -- thank you, Cathy!  I work on the Online team at Columbia University's School of Continuing Education, and I'll be teaching an online course at Columbia's School of Social Work in the fall.  I'm interested in participating as a MERLOT reviewer in order to learn, stay current with online resources, and contribute to this fantastic resource.  

It was great to have you in GRAPE Camp yesterday, Matthea.  I'm sorry we didn't get to browse the Sociology collection, but I'm sure you can find some good resources on your own.  And I did learn a new term, microaggression!  ;-)

I also hope that you will be contributing some materials, too.  If you have any questions, please let me know.

Hi everyone. I'm Lauren, and I'm attending GRAPE Camp asynchronously in the month of May. I am a linguist and I teach online classes for Southern New Hampshire University; my day job is with the Office of Scholarly Communication & Publishing at the University of Pittsburgh's University Library System, where I work with open access journals and try to promote OER use at our campuses. I've been using MERLOT for a long time for ideas and inspiration in my classes and I wanted to become part of the community and learn more about how MERLOT works. This will, hopefully, help me promote MERLOT to people on my campus and contribute more as a user. 

Hi, Lauren

You'll get to know some others through this discussion forum. Where do you live in Pittsburgh?  I was born there.  In fact, I'll be going back for a class reunion in June, at Peters Township High School.  I'm also a big Steelers fan.

When you finish GRAPE Camp, you will have to decide whether you want to review for the English Editorial Board (for Linguistics) or the Library Editorial Board.  It's your choice.

I'm glad that you will be promoting MERLOT on your campus.

Thank you Cathy. I grew up near Cleveland, Ohio, so I cannot cheer for the Steelers at the risk of being disowned by my Cleveland family. :) I do love the city and have adopted it as my home. I live in Swissvale and work in Point Breeze/Oakland. 

Since my training and teaching are in Linguistics more than library work, I think I would go with the former editorial board. However, I may have some colleagues who would be interested. This camp is very interesting and I'll have to pass it on to them. 

That would be great, Lauren...passing it on to your colleagues.  I'm attaching a flyer that you could print out and give to them.

The English team will be happy to have you!

Attachments:

HI, I am in GRAPE camp as a self-studier. I am a philosopher by training and a professor at the Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine at Florida International University in Miami. I work in the area of scholarship of medical education and bioethics. I look forward to learning more about and contributing to best practices in online education.

Hi, Marin:

We're glad to hear from someone who is doing the self-study. One of my friends in MERLOT is married to an ethicist who works for a hospital.  He has some very interesting situations.

I'm not quite sure at the moment where we would place you as far as doing reviews.  We do have Health Sciences and perhaps that would be a good fit.  It's up to you to decide.

Yes, I have spent some time looking around and I have found a few pages of bioethics materials that I could review. There are three items peer-reviewed already, two are from the health sciences board.

RSS

© 2024   Created by MERLOT.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service