This is interesting and i now a lot of cheating takes place in Kenyan academic institutions in the field of research- the idea of google scholar is exciting and promising. How do you run the Google scholar? i have not used it- i will give a trial
I have been asking students to email me their papers and I just take random lines from their papers and do a simple Google search. I have caught a few students using this technique. I also tell them ahead of time that this is what I am going to do and this intimidates them not to cheat.
I use TurnItIn.com and for some assignments, send the whole kit 'n' caboodle, so everyone's paper is checked. Othertimes I'll only send in someone's work if I suspect the writing isn't theirs or it seems familiar.
Lately, Turnitn hasn't been catching some things. A simple Google search using a few suspect phrases can often net a match.
It's sad how many students, once caught, say "I didn't mean to do it." Yeah, right, you didn't mean to copy 50% of a paper?
Yes, we've used Turnitin too, but found that it was good for about 95% of the students, the other 5% were devising ways to cheat it. Thanks.
What's really interesting is when we use the Epson WorkForce Pro GT-S50 Document Scanner Review to filter out all the cheaters.
Works like a charm.