MERLOT Voices

Putting Educational Innovations into Practice.

We can use this discussion forum to ask and answer questions that can be shared with the group. We have two sessions going on, with more than 60 people involved. This is the largest GRAPE Camp ever! If you have a question, please ask away. I also encourage people who are already involved in MERLOT to answer your questions.

Views: 156

Replies to This Discussion

Hi everyone. Just checking in to say how much I'm looking forward to being a Peer Reviewer for MERLOT. I've been a menber since last year when I discovered MERLOT in one of my doctoral courses. I have used several of the learning materials in the classes that I teach and find them quite useful. I'm enjoying Grape Camp already and am looking forward to Weeks 2 and 3.
Pat
Good to have you at Camp, Pat. I'm also happy to hear you've been using MERLOT materials in your classes. I think you'll find that you'll find many other resources you can use through doing the Peer Reviews.
Cathy, I just suggested that a person I supervise submit some of his work to Merlot. I hope there's a system in place so I don't end up reviewing that course LOL.
Bully for you, Diana. I hope your friend does submit the material. We love it when people want to add to the MERLOT collection. And the benefit for your friend is that if that material does get reviewed, he/she can cite it as a scholarly contribution, plus receive a letter recognizing that.

As to a system in place, the only one we have is that the Author of the material would not be assigned to review it. That brings up a good point that I may not have mentioned yet. If you are ever assigned to review a material that you don't feel comfortable reviewing (i.e. out of your area of expertise, know the author, etc.), please let the Editor know and he/she will put someone else on it and assign something else to you. We are truly grateful to our Peer Reviewers and don't ever want to burden them with something they don't want to do.
If you would like to test out an LO using Internet Explorer and do not have access to it (or you would like to test it using a different version than you have), use this tool: http://ipinfo.info/netrenderer/

It will take screenshots of the web site and show you how it looks using the different browsers. While it is an excellent tool for web developers, it would also be very useful for peer reviewers.
Wow, Chase, that is very helpful information. I may include that in my next GRAPE Camps. In addition, once I use it myself, I will suggest it to other Editors so they can also pass it on. I could also add it to the Peer Review form.

It's great when I learn something myself during GRAPE Camp. I usually do as we get so many experienced people and there are so many clever tools out there. Thanks for sharing.
Now I know I won't lose the site, as I just added it to the MERLOT collection: http://www.merlot.org/merlot/viewMaterial.htm?id=388461 :-)
Another way to access the Netrenderer tool for Firefox users is to install the plugin. This allows you to add a button to your toolbar that will automatically take you to the rendered image of the page you are currently viewing.

For more information/installation:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6455
Hello all,

I was just writing the review porton of Web Search Startegies module for our homework for the second week. I have already reviewed the website, and I am tackling the "Observation and Evaluation" section of the review.

My question is with the Strengths and Weaknesses area. I'm not sure (1) whether I should be addressing each of the 11 standards that do not get a "5" rating in the Weaknesess area and (2) if these two areas - Strengths and Weaknesses should be bulleted points or paragraph format?

Thanks for any help you might provide.
Margaret

PS This is not any easy task :-) I suppose it will get easier with practice?
Hi, Margaret. No, you don't have to address each of the eleven standards. Those are there as criteria to help you think about the rating. You should answer the question of what is outstanding about the material. Also, what are some reasons for NOT giving the major criterion a "5." That would provide the Concerns answer.

For GRAPE Camp, we suggest bullet points. However, once you are working with an actual Editorial Board, the Editor can provide you information about how to format that information.
Hi, I thought at the end of the last webinar you mentioned that we'd get an email to chose the area we'd be reviewing.. have not seen that yet.
I have to look over your peer review first. I'll get that done soon and then send you an email.

Sorry for the delay, but have had some other priorities early this week.

RSS

© 2024   Created by MERLOT.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service