MERLOT Voices

Putting Educational Innovations into Practice.

Please use this discussion forum to introduce yourself to the others who are going through GRAPE Camp.  This is a great way to become acquainted with each other and also to network.  Feel free to tell us anything about yourself.

You can also use this forum to ask questions.

Views: 293

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, David, old friend.

David has been a terrific and productive member of the Teacher Education Editorial Board and will be a great mentor to all the folks he has recruited at SPU.  I think your community of practice is such a great idea.  Given that we have over 1300 mobile apps in MERLOT, we certainly need help in peer reviewing them.

Hi everyone!

My name is Ryan Ingersoll and I am the Library Technology Services Coordinator at Seattle Pacific University. I support students and staff with their technological needs in the library.

My daily responsibilities range from putting out technology fires of all kinds to managing the Tech Desk that supports students with their digital scholarship. I partner with Instructional Technology Services (ITS) to consult on student assignments from faculty and prepare my staff to support the students who may need assistance. The Tech Desk provides technology tools, assistance  and space for students to discover, create, and share. Additionally, I manage over 90 student and staff computers in the library.

You can learn more about the Tech Desk online and on our knowledge base.

I am excited for GRAPE Camp and MERLOT as I am a participant in a community of practice of iPad users with other faculty. 

Greetings, Ryan.  You sound like a busy person.  We're glad that you are going through GRAPE Camp.  I really do envy you the community of practice.  That will be a great networking opportunity for y'all.  

Hello everyone, my name is Bob Lockwood and I teach statistics and quantitative methods for Kaplan University. I have been a member of CAUSE (Consortium for the Advancement of Undergraduate Statistics Education) and have been accessing MERLOT materials for the past few years. I am attending GC for both selfish and altruistic reasons. I am always looking for things that I can do in my classes to help my students be successful. Since I teach online classes only there is not the abundance of material available that is there for those teaching in a traditional classroom. I also feel that if I am going to be a user of material from MERLOT I ought to take a more active role in MERLOT. Thus, here I am!

I am one of the very lucky people because I love what I do. I graduated from The University of Alabama more years ago than I would like to count and desperately wanted to teach at the college level; but back in the 1970's universities were not hiring many new assistant professors. I was lucky to find a job with ACT and began a long career in assessment. I worked for 18 years as the Supervisor of Assessment for the Alabama Department of Education (K-12) and for 8 years as Director of Research and Information Services for the two-year college system in Alabama. I had been teaching as an adjunct virtually without stop since 1983 and when I retired in 2008 I became a full-time adjunct for two or three universities teaching online statistics classes. In 2010, I became a full-time professor for Kaplan University. What I tried to do in 1974 became a reality in 2010.

My passion is to provide a quality learning environment for students in online classes. To that end my teaching materials are always a work in progress. I have tried using Twitter (not many of the older students that I usually have in my classes have a Twitter account) and I have tried a Blog. I have a library of videos on my website for different statistical software to show students how to use that software to address statistical questions. I know there are always other things that I can do to help my students. At the moment I am working to bring the tenets of Invitational Teaching espoused by William Purkey to the online classroom.

I look forward to learning more about the peer review process.

Bob

Welcome Bob, and congratulations on finally doing what you wanted to do so long ago.  It sounds as if you truly have a love of teaching.  I know you will find a lot of materials that will help your students learn statistics more easily.  The collection is small compared to some others, but lots of good materials.  (I wish I had something like this when I went to school!).  We're happy to have you.

Hello All!

My name is Ellen and I am very excited about the opportunity to be involved with MERLOT and advancing online materials. Today, I will be attending the week 2 session. I'm looking forward to interacting with you in this forum and am including a short introduction below.

Originally from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, I currently reside in Baltimore, Maryland. I have spent the last eleven years working in the field of higher education. My professional experience spans management and leadership positions in enrollment/admissions services and student services. During my tenure, I have held positions such as Manager of Academic Counseling, Director of Re-entry, and Regional Director of Operations and Student Services for higher education institutions.  For the last six years, I have also held faculty positions. On the undergraduate level, I currently teach coursework in leadership, group dynamics, education, and student success. My latest endeavor is a book and workshop curriculum on financial literacy and option trading.

My educational background includes a Ph.D. in Higher Education from the University of Phoenix, as well as master's degrees in both Organizational Management and Education - Curriculum and Instruction (specialization in Adult Education). I completed my undergraduate work in economics at the College of Wooster in Ohio. My research interests include endowment performance, adult and distance learning, and the student affairs role in student retention. I have been fortunate to experience many different educational institutions and approaches to higher education. This has provided me with a comprehensive view of how to help students succeed. Additionally, I obtained many of my degrees as a working professional, so I understand the unique challenges it brings!

Whenever I get a chance, I enjoy spending time at the beach. I am a beach bum, at heart! My love of water has guided me to live on both coasts (Virginia Beach, San Diego, and Orange County) and Hawaii (Mililani, Oahu). I enjoy cooking, traveling, practicing yoga, paddle boarding, and spending time with my family and friends. As a firm believer in formal and informal life-long learning, my current goal is to learn Spanish.

I am eager to meet and learn from all of you!

Ellen

Hi, Ellen:  We're happy to have you.  What area of Pittsburgh are you from?  I was born at Mercy Hospital and lived in Carnegie as a baby, Mt. Lebanon for elementary school, and Peters Township (McMurray) for high school.  It's funny, but my father also graduated from Wooster.

The areas you teach in fall into the Business category, and as I am the Editor of the Business Editorial Board, we'll be working together in the future.  We're happy to have you on board.

It's a small world, Cathy! I grew up in Beaver and my parents still live there. I loved my time at Wooster. If your dad hasn't been there in a while, the campus has grown and looks fantastic!

I'm looking forward to learning from you and to complete the practice peer review this week.

Ellen

Hello, All!  My name is Donna Gardner Liljegren, and I am the Director of the Elmhurst College Online Center and Manager of Instructional Support for the School for Professional Studies. The Online Center is a new start-up, so I am neck-deep in faculty development right now, and, consequently, I am not teaching any Composition/Literature courses at the moment. I've been working higher education 20+ years with a focus on online programs for the last 15. I'm enjoying GRAPE camp and look forward to honing my skills as a peer reviewer.

Wow, Donna, you are going to be busy!  Faculty Development is a difficult task.  I hope your faculty know what all you will be doing for them.

Hi everyone,

My name is Andrew Ryder, and I am a Theatre professor at Seattle Pacific University.  I was introduced to this process by David Wicks and Janiess Sallee, who hosted an "ipads in education" community of practice at SPU this year.

I teach courses in Play Directing, Theatre Education, Theatre History, Dramatic Literature, and Script Analysis.  I also advise and supervise student teachers in theatre.

I'm interested in finding out about additional resources, online and on iPad, to help me improve my students' learning, and in contributing my own feedback to these conversations.  I also appreciate the opportunity to participate on my own schedule!

Best,

Andrew

Hi, Andrew:

Welcome.  We used to have a group that was interested in Theater as a Task Group.  They developed the following categories:

Theatre

They stopped working when it came to adding more materials, so we never went further.  I think it was ATHE?

RSS

© 2024   Created by MERLOT.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service